Carla M. Palumbo
1002 Glide St.
Director, Civil Division, Legal Aid Society
(585) 428-7538 (Office)
(585) 647-4072 (Home)
Carla Palumbo has a distinguished record of service in law, government and community activities. A 20-year resident of Glide Street, Carla has put her dedication and commitment to work for the citizens of Rochester for more than two decades.
Carla serves as Councilperson for the Northwest District of the City. The Northwest neighborhoods she represents include: Lyell-Otis, Edgerton, JOSANA, People of Dutchtown, Maplewood, and Charlotte. She is working to improve our neighborhoods, strengthen our local economy, and enhance this community by making it safer for us all. At present, Carla chairs the Council's Neighborhood & Business Development Committee.
- Monroe County Legislator 2001 through 2007, representing the City's west side
- County Legislature's Minority Leader 2006-07, ranking member of Human Services Committee in 2004 and 2005 and member of Ways and Means and Intergovernmental Relations Committees
- Sponsored the Blueprint for Progress, a proposal to end the County's budget crisis by better fiscal oversight and management to balance the budget without raising taxes and We the People, a proposal to reform Monroe County Government
- Former Chair, Monroe County Legislature's Advisory Committee on Women's Issues, 1996 to 1999
- Director, Civil Division, Legal Aid Society
- Admitted to practice law in NYS and the Western District of NY.
- Member, Miller Commission; NYS Office of Court Administration Commission on Matrimonial Law charged with proposing reform to Matrimonial Laws in NYS, 2006
- Member, New York State Bar Foundation, 2004.
- Chair, New York State Bar Association, Gender Equity Task Force, 2003 to present.
- Former Chair, New York State Bar Association, Committee on Women in the Law, 2000 to 2003. Member of NYSBA from 1984 to present.
- Board Member, Sector 3 Planning Committee
- Member, Lyell-Otis Neighborhood Association and Maplewood Neighborhood Association
- Parishioner, Most Precious Blood Church and Parish Council member, Sacred Heart Cathedral Community
- Member, Board of Directors, Arts and Culture Council of Greater Rochester
- Syracuse University College of Law, Juris Doctor, 1982
- SUNY at Albany, Bachelor's of Art, 1979 cum laude
- 1999 NYSBA Public Interest Law Award
- 2000 YWCA Women First Award