Bureau of Planning & Zoning
City Hall - Room 125B
Rochester, New York 14614
The Bureau of Planning and Zoning is responsible for the review of all construction documents submitted to the City of Rochester for a Building Permit.
Plans must comply the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, which includes the following specific codes:
- New York State Building Code
- New York State Fire Codes
- New York State Mechanical Code
- New York State Fuel Gas Code
- New York State Plumbing Code
- New York State Energy Conservation Construction Code
- New York State Residential Code
- New York State Property Conservation Code
Reference Codes such as the following are also reviewed:
- NFPA (Fire Alarms, Sprinkler Systems, etc.)
- ICC/ANSI (Handicapped Accessibility)
- ASME (Elevators and the National Elevator Code)
In order to expedite the plan review process, multiple sets of construction documents are required for simultaneous review.
Plan reviews for large projects often require multiple reviews, such as for Building, Plumbing, Electrical, Elevator and Fire Department codes.
All residential and commercial projects require two (2) complete sets of construction documents. A complete set of the approved construction documents will be returned to the applicant when the Permit is approved.
The City does not provide design services. Applicants are responsible for providing plans with sufficient code information to conduct a complete code review. Required documents may vary based on the project size and complexity.
City staff also assist with State Building Code Variance Forms, which can be obtained in the Permit Office or by downloading from New York State.
New York State Building Code Books may be ordered or you can view the free online version of the New York State Building Code.