New York State Law
Section 103 of the N.Y. State General Municipal Law requires that the City:
- Advertise for written, sealed bids on any purchase of goods or services costing more than $20,000 in annual requirements.
- Advertise for written, sealed bids on any Public Work (Construction, Etc.) costing more than $35,000.
- Make an award to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder.
City of Rochester
Section 8a of the Code of the City of Rochester, NY states that the Purchasing Agent:
- Shall be the only City official to purchase or lease materials, supplies, equipment, public works and contractual services.
- Shall dispose of all surplus property of the City.
- Shall conduct the written, sealed Bid process in accordance with the guidelines of the New York State law (above).
- Obtain competition for other purchases - written quotes, telephone quotes, etc.
- Must require performance and payment security (Performance Bonds and Labor & material Payment Bonds) for a least 50% of the contract total for contractual services costing more than $100,000.
- Require proof of insurance coverage (Certificate of Insurance) in appropriate amounts for contractual services.