Saturday Rose Workshops at Maplewood Rose Garden
Members of the Greater Rochester Rose Society will provide expert advice hands-on demonstrations on how to cultivat and care for roses.
Meet by the fountain at the Maplewood Rose Garden, corner of Lake Ave. and Driving Park Ave. map Free admission and no prior registration, rain or shine. All sessions 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- May 4: Pruning Roses
- July 27: Insects and Fungal Diseases in the Rose Garden
- October 5: Winterizing Your Roses
Spring/Summer Garden Talks
Many of these discussions will be hosted by Master Gardeners of Cornell Cooperative Extension of Monroe County. Subjects include gardening on a budget, growing plants from seed, planning a vegetable garden, maximizing color with annuals and perennials, raising herbs, and recognizing poison ivy!
Each week will offer a different presentation. Learn from your fellow gardeners and bring plants for help with identification. Talks will last about 45 minutes, with Q&A throughout.
Saturdays at the Libraries: April 20- May 25: 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- April 20: Maplewood Branch, 1111 Dewey Ave. map
- April 27: Arnett Branch, 310 Arnett Blvd. map
- May 4: Lyell Branch, 956 Lyell Ave. map
- May 11: Charlotte Branch, 3615 Lake Ave. map
- May 18: Winton Branch, 611 N. Winton Rd. map
- May 25: Monroe Branch, 809 Monroe Ave. map
Other gardening resources in Rochester
- Rochester Civic Garden Center: www.rcgc.org
- Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (NOFA-NY): www.nofany.org
- Rochester Roots (summer classes for teachers): www.rochesterroots.org
- Monroe County Cornell Cooperative Extension available to answer all your gardening questions. Vendor spaces still available, call (585) 428-6907
Other Special Horticultural Events
Flower City Days at the Market
Visit these Sunday sales that attract 20,000 shoppers each week. Hundreds of area growers bring plants directly to gardeners. Join in Rochester’s green revolution by recycling your old plant containers!Rochester Public Market, 280 North Union St. (585) 428-6907.
Lilac Festival in Highland Park
Includes the Master Gardener Plant Sale and other specialty vendors in front of Cornell Cooperative Extension of Monroe County’s offices at 249 Highland Ave.
Maplewood Rose Celebration: Horticulture, Historic Homes and Heritage
Bring family and friends to this annual festival celebrating Rochester's collection of over 5,000 roses. Held during the peak of the blooming season, the event focuses on the beauty of more than 300 rose varieties and 5,000 roses. Enjoy hands-on garden/landscape activities for adults and kids from Rochester’s top-notch professionals in the “green” industry, and jazz and wine in the garden on Saturday evening. Other activities: Party on the Driving Park Bridge (Friday, June 15) and a Father’s Day Picnic, bring your father to smell the roses on Sunday, June 17. Sponsored by the Maplewood Neighborhood Association, MVP Health Care, Wegmans, and the City of Rochester.
Maplewood Park and Rose Garden, corner of Lake Ave. and Driving Park Ave