Marketview Heights has always been a neighborhood on the move. Its earliest residents were laborers who followed the new trolley lines to rent simply constructed wooden homes for their families in area area bounded on the west by North Street, on the east by North Goodman Street, on the north by Clifford Avenue and south at East Main Street.
Today the neighborhood is once again abuzz with change from enhancements at the Rochester Public Market and the plans to upgrade 160 properties along six streets under the City's Focused Investment Strategy (FIS). Private sector developers have spotted the potential of this area and are driving changes of their own. An old factory on Railroad Street has recently been re-introduced to the neighborhood as Station 55, a blend of lofts and retail space. This new landmark follows PathStone Corps Collective Action Project housing projects, which converted a former elementary school on First Street into the Susan B. Anthony Apartments.
The Marketview Heights Association (MHA), a not-for-profit community service organization, continues as the neighborhood mainstay for housing revitalization. MHA, a HUD approved counseling agency formed in 1976, provides counseling and education for first time home buyers and owners along with Foreclosure Prevention Services. It also works to find home repair grants for area homeowners and promotes the sale of rehabilitated vacant property to first time homebuyers.
Alongside these organizations, residents are working to enrich the community. In South Marketview Heights (Central Park divides the southern and northern portions), residents transformed an old vineyard on Hempel Street into a bountiful 2 acre community garden of grapes and vegetables. In the northern portion, several community gardens offer ample harvests on North Union Street.
Since 1905, the area's most prominent landmark has been the historic Rochester Public Market. The original market was founded in 1827 at another location, making it one of the oldest continuously operating farmers markets in the country. Now open year round, 20,000 to 40,000 weekly visitors arrive to find fresh fruits and vegetables and much more. Items sold here include household good and supplies at the Community Garage Sales and Superfleas, perennials, annuals and other plants at the Flower City Sundays, artwork and much much more. In 2009, the City added a new 200 vehicle parking lot on the corner of Trinidad and Union Street along with a pedestrian gateway. Next on the list is landscaping with a green conscience: an eco-friendly rain garden similar to the City's Turning Point Park, that allows natural vegetation to filter runoff before it reaches area waterways.
Nearby, the Union Street Market, a row of cafes and bakeries, will soon be receiving facade improvements through a New York State Main Street grant.
Still looming over the neighborhood on East Main Street are several architectural landmarks. The turreted Main Street Armory, built in 1905 for the National Guard, now hosts sporting events and music concerts. The original Eastman School of Dentistry remains nearby and opens each Halloween for "The House of Pain" haunted house which attracts thousands of visitors.