The Rochester Police Department's Twitter Policy
***** DO NOT REPORT CRIMINAL ACTS VIA TWITTER *****
The Rochester Police Department's Twitter account have been set up to inform the public of news, events, online services, and major incidents related to the Rochester Police Department, the City of Rochester, and the safety of the public in general.
If you follow the Rochester Police Department, you can expect Tweets in reference to some or all of the following:
- Operational updates about the policing of certain events.
- News about how the Rochester Police Department is policing Rochester.
- News related to major criminal investigations.
- Appeals for information or assistance from the public.
- Crime prevention advice.
- Community information in reference to special events.
- Information about online services from the Rochester Police Department website and other police related sources.
- Information related to traffic incidents.
- Education of the public in reference to the nature of policing.
If you follow the Rochester Police Department on Twitter, we will not automatically follow you back (This is to discourage the use of direct messaging). Being followed by the Rochester Police Department does not imply endorsement of any kind.
Posts/@Replies and Contacting the Rochester Police Department
The Rochester Police Department does not continuously monitor Twitter. If you wish to contact the Rochester Police Department, please visit police headquarters, division offices or use one of the methods detailed in the "Contact Us" section of our website.
The Rochester Police Department welcomes feedback and ideas from all of our followers, although we are not able to reply individually to the messages and comments we receive via Twitter.
Do not use Twitter to report a criminal act
Twitter is not an appropriate crime reporting mechanism. If you are the "Victim Of" or a "Witness To" a criminal act, please use the traditional avenues to contact the Rochester Police Department. This will allow the Rochester Police Department to investigate all reports efficiently and confidentially.
The Rochester Police Department will update and monitor its Twitter account whenever feasible. Twitter may occasionally be unavailable and therefore the Rochester Police Department accepts no responsibility for any downtime of the Twitter account.