Food Truck Vending
On June 1, 2013, the City of Rochester's first-ever Food Truck Pilot Program launched Downtown. This page is a resource for vendors interested in participating in the pilot program, and food truck vendors looking for licensing information and policies on vending in the city.
What type of license do I need to operate a food truck in the City of Rochester?
Vending in the City of Rochester is governed by Chapter 62 of the Code of the City of Rochester. You will need a solicitor's license to vend at approved locations within the City unless you are operating at an event that was issued a Special Events Permit by the City of Rochester.
Where can I operate my licensed food truck in the City of Rochester?
Center City District (Download the map to view approved locations)
Trucks may vend in parking spaces in areas and times listed:
- Sate Street & Platt Street (9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
- Broad Street near South Avenue (11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
- Andrews Street Bridge (7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
Harbortown Vending District
Food Truck Vending is prohibited
Outside the Center City District and the Harbortown Vending District
Food Truck Vending is allowed in a valid legal parking space that does not create a hazard to the public and that has been approved by the License Investigation Unit of the Rochester Police Department.
Food truck vending requires an additional permit from the County or the City depending on the park.
For the following parks, contact the City of Rochester Department of Recreation and Youth Services at 428-6755
- Cobbs Hill Park
- Manhattan Square Park
- Durand Beach
- Genesee Valley Park West
For the following parks, contact: Monroe County at 753-7275
- Highland Park
- Seneca Park
- Genesee Valley Park East
- Durand Eastman Park (south of Lakeshore Blvd)
VOTE: Vending is prohibited at Ontario Beach Park because it is part of the Harbortown district.
Private Property (outside Center City and Harbortown vending district)
Vending on private property is not allowed without a Certificate of Zoning Compliance (CZC). Please call or email Jason Haremza at (585) 428-7761 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Vending at the Public Market requires authorization from the Supervisor of the Public Market. Vendors at the Market do not need a solicitor’s license, but must have all other applicable inspections.Vending at the Public Market requires authorization from the Supervisor of the Public Market. Vendors at the Market do not need a solicitor’s license, but must have all other applicable inspections. Contact Cindy DeCoste at (585) 428-6907 or email@example.com
Vending is allowed at events that have been issued a permit by the Office of Special Events. Event organizers should deal directly with the Special Events Office when food trucks will be present. Contact: Kara Osipovitch at (585) 428-6733 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I apply for a solicitor’s license to operate a food truck in the City of Rochester?
1. Fill out an application. Applications are available at: The City Clerk’s Licensing Office, City Hall Room 100A .
Along with the application, you must attach:
Minimum of $100,000 comprehensive liability insurance coverage
- New York State Sales Tax Certificate,
- New York State Health Department Permit
- List of all employees’ names and a photo copy of their government identification.
2. Complete a Fire Safety Training class. Additional details regarding food truck fire safety are available at www.cityofrochester.gov/foodtruckfiresafety/ If you still have questions, contact Fire Lt. Edward Kuppinger at 585-428-9344, or at email@example.com for information.
3. Pass an inspection conducted by the License Investigation Unit of the Rochester Police Department and the Fire Safety Division of the Rochester Fire Department.
Note: It could take up to 30 days to process the application, please plan accordingly.
What is the cost of a solicitor's license to operate a food truck in the City of Rochester?
$7 Application fee (which is deducted from the licensing fee)
- $750 Fee for license to vend in a designated Center City or Harbortown location
- $250 Fee for license to vend outside of the City Center Vending District
- $56 Three-day Special Promotion Event Solicitor License
- $24 The cost for each employee and employer vendor tag
- $10 Replacement fee for lost license
Who can I call if I have more questions?
Contact the City Clerk's Licesning OFfice at (585) 428-6617.
How can I submit a question electronically?
Fill out the Food Truck Question Form.