City of Rochester
(Tuesday, June 4, 2013) — Mayor Richards invites the community to come and see the thousands of gorgeous roses and enjoy a full program of activities at the 23rd annual Maplewood Rose Celebration, to be held Saturday, June 15 and Sunday, June 16 in and around Maplewood Park and Rose Garden (at the corner of Lake Ave. and Driving Park Ave).
The popular Maplewood Rose Celebration honors our city’s history, ecology, people and illustrious horticultural heritage and boasts more than 5,000 roses of 300 varieties at their peak. Festival-goers can enjoy wine and jazz, rose workshops, gorge and falls tours and a variety of children’s activities. The event also features the 3rd Annual All-Maplewood Art Exhibition as well as an artist’s consignment tent area, which is new to the festival this year. Children’s gorge tours are also new this year and will be offered on both days of the festival. Music by the Dady Brothers will cap off the event on Sunday afternoon, Father’s Day.
Full 2013 Maplewood Rose Celebration Schedule
Saturday, June 15:
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Genesee Gorge and Falls Tours. Neighborhood docents will lead narrated tours of the historic and beautiful Lower Falls Park. Tours are ongoing with the last tour leaving at 3:30 p.m.
• 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Recreation on the Move. The City Bureau of Recreation’s mobile recreation center will feature activities for kids.
• 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Children’s inflatables • 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Arts and Crafts Show • 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Rose Garden tours and gardening workshops. Learn from the City’s horticultural staff and Rosarians from the Greater Rochester Rose Society.
• 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.: Food vendors
• Noon to 1 p.m.: Garden Photography: a workshop by City Photographer Ira Srole--bring your camera.
• 1 p.m.: Children’s Gorge Tour
• Noon to 4 p.m.: Wine and Jazz in the Garden. Features area wineries and farmers sampling and selling their wares. Jazz musicians perform all afternoon, featuring the Darryl Parker Trio and Phil de Chateauvieux. A fee for tastings will benefit the Maplewood Neighborhood Association.
• 4 to 7 p.m.: Jazz musician Lady Rose closes out the day in the Big Gazebo.
Sunday, June 16:
• 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Recreation on the Move.
• 1 to 4 p.m.: Rose garden tours and workshops.
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Genesee Gorge and Falls Tours. Last tour leaves at 3:30 p.m.
• 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Arts and Crafts Show, children’s vendors • 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Food vendors available • 1 p.m.: Children’s Gorge Tour • 1 to 2 p.m.: Music and comedy by Those Guys • 2:15 to 4 p.m.: Music by the Dady Brothers • 1 to 5 p.m.: Father's Day Family Picnic in the Park.
Parking is available in lot at the corner of St. Paul Boulevard and Avenue E, directly across the Driving Park Bridge from Maplewood Park. A shuttle will be provided. Handicapped parking is available at Maplewood Park. Bicyclists may ride to the event using the Genesee Riverway Trail.
The Maplewood Rose Celebration is sponsored by the City of Rochester and the Maplewood Neighborhood Association, with corporate support from Wellcare, MVP Health Care. For more information call 428-6866 or 232-8420. For information visit www.cityofrochester.gov/maplewoodrosefest.
News Media: For more information, contact City Assistant Director of Recreation Jim Farr at 428-6866 or Cynthia Kaleh at 232-8420.