Story Time With Style Helps Sharpen Reading Skills
Mayor Lovely A. Warren and many community partners hope to increase recreational reading by offering children books in a comfortable setting--local beauty salons and barber shops.
Recent data provided by the New York State Department of Education shows that only four percent of African-American students and three percent of Latino students are proficient in reading by the third grade. Data shows that students who struggle by the end of third grade are 13 times less likely to graduate high school by the age of 19.
Participating salons and barbershops in the city of Rochester are hosting bookshelves filled with children’s books that have been provided by our community partners. The ultimate hope is that boys and girls will continue to associate waiting with reading and chose to do so whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Neighborhood beauty salons and barbershops tend to become a natural gathering place for young men and women – perhaps they will see children reading in a comfortable setting and feel compelled to serve as literacy mentors for young boys and girls.
Story Time With Style Community Partners
- Shelley Matthews, Rochester Area Literacy Coordinator for the Rochester Public Library
- Rochester Northwest Rotary
- Dr. Leonard Brock, Director of the Rochester-Monroe Anti-Poverty Initiative
- United Way of Greater Rochester
- U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and Starry Night Publishing
- Rochester Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- WM B Morse Lumber Co.
- The Woodshop of St. Michael, Inc.
- Willie Lightfoot, New Creations Unisex Barbershop
- Chili Public Library
Story Time With Style Locations
- Andre’s Barbershop and Unisex Salon, 881 Portland Ave.
- Arlene’s Unique Styles Beauty Salon, 983 Hudson Ave.
- Children’s Gallery, 1446 Dewey Ave.
- Forte Styles Beauty Shop, 517 Thurston Rd.
- Forty Acres, 515 Thurston Rd.
- Mass Appeal Barbershop, 515 East Main St.
- Marcel's Salon (inside of New Born Fellowship Christian Center) 1550 N. Clinton Ave.
- New Creations Unisex Barbershop, 647 Jefferson Ave.
- Ronnie’s Kids Kuts, 2229 Clifford Ave.
- Signature Styles, 663 Thurston Rd.
- Tatinan's Unisex Salon, 1534 Dewey Ave.
- 3Kingz Hair Gallery, 342 Thurston Rd.
- Top Notch Barbering, 970 South Clinton Ave.
- Wade and Me Barbershop, 1365 Culver Rd.
Business Owners Interested in Participating
There is no cost to participate--only a willingness to encourage children to read. If you are a salon owner or barber shop owner interested in participating in Story Time With Style, or if you have any questions about the initiative, contact Briana Chamberlain at (585) 428-6349, or via email at Briana.Chamberlain@cityofrochester.gov.