What We Do
The Bureau of Water's primary mission of delivering quality drinking water to our residents was initiated in 1873. The Director's Office provides staff administration and support to the entire bureau. Additionally, it procures and maintains all of the equipment, parts & supplies inventory. Water is a commodity that receives little attention until something goes awry. Our bureau is ever-vigilant to assure that clean drinking water will always be available.
Robert Morrison, Director
Bureau of Water
10 Felix Street
Rochester, NY 14608
email the director
For all water billing questions, call 311, or outside of the city, call (585) 428-5990.
Helpful Documents for Contractors
- This division implements the capital program through design, plan review, and construction inspection services. It maintains and updates the official record of location for water mains and other water facilities. Engineering has two operational arms: design and field. Design engineering plans the system repairs and improvements, including the coordination of water main work with street improvement projects. Field engineering inspects water construction to assure compliance with planned work and maintains a myriad of record keeping data for customer and construction use.
Water Production and Treatment
- This division monitors the water quality and flow while operating and maintaining the chemical treatment facilities for the system. This includes managing the watershed at both Hemlock and Canadice Lakes, maintaining the reservoirs at Rush, Cobbs Hill, and Highland Park, and operating the Hemlock water treatment facility.
Water Supply and Maintenance
- This service division provides maintenance for the 30-miles of upland water conduit that supplies the City, and all watershed properties and reservoir structures.
- This division has six operational arms that help it maintain the water delivery system in the City, including mains, hydrants, valves and customer connections:
- The Administrative arm manages the division.
- Dispatch sends field personnel to customer calls.
- Technical Support locates and identifies water mains for construction projects, investigates leaks, installs water services and responds to water emergencies.
- Grid Repair concentrates on repairing hydrants, valves and valve & curb boxes,
- Meter Service reads, installs and repairs residential and commercial water meters. Residential meters have essentially all been converted to electronic outside remote read. Additionally, Meter Service performs residential turn-on and shut-offs and completes special readings.
- Hydraulic Maintenance performs preventative maintenance to assure proper water flow and hygienic properties for distribution. The unit also performs water main flushing and water waste surveys.