Join the Department of Recreation for the 29th annual Lakeside Winter Celebration at Ontario Beach Park!
Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 11 a.m to 4 p.m.
Where: Ontario Beach Park and the Port of Rochester Terminal.
Organizers of the 29th Annual Lakeside Winter Celebration are excited to again host this family-friendly winter event. It is the perfect way to start off a romantic Valentine’s Week in the City!
Download the Winter Adventures 2013 brochure
The event, which is part of the city's annual Flower City Looking Good--Winter Adventures program, is organized by the all-volunteer Ontario Beach Park Program Committee and sponsored by the City of Rochester and Monroe County. It is a major anchor for the Greater Rochester Visitors Association’s annual Coldrush, which promotes Rochester as a regional winter destination for fun through a wide array of winter activities and events!
This Year's Activities
- Rec on the Move: the City Bureau of Recreation’s Rec on the Move mobile recreation center will be on–site, packed with a variety of winter-time fun activities for kids and families including free snowshoe lessons, nerf snow-bowl, healthy treats and more. City staff will also be leading a winter hike along the Genesee Riverway Trail, starting from the Terminal entrance at 1p.m.
- The Third annual Lake Ontario Wine Festival and Farmers Market, in the Port Terminal. Celebrate and taste (6 tastes for $5) a variety of wines from Western New York. Wine will also be available by the bottle for purchase. At least 15 wineries will participate in this annual event as well as several farmers featuring maple syrup, cider, jams and jellies and winter produce.
- The 13th Annual Polar Plunge kicks off the celebration at Noon., when more than 1,000 winter enthusiasts are anticipated to dive into the icy waters of Lake Ontario to help raise funds for the New York Special Olympics. As usual the event includes a highly competitive and always crowd-pleasing costume contest. Perennially this event was the most successful Special Olympics fundraiser in New York State. For more information or to register, visit the Polar Plunge website, or call (585) 586-7400 ext. 105.
- The 19th Annual Chilly Chili Challenge., Noon to 3 p.m., will be held at the Port of Rochester Terminal. Both professional and amateur participants will vie for the coveted Best Chili in Rochester prize. Restaurants, caterers, civic groups and amateur chefs are encouraged to apply--go to www.cityofrochester.gov/chili.
- The annual Snow Sculpture Contest ( this year’s theme, “winter themes”) will feature prizes for youth under 12, youth 12-18 and adults and mixed age groups. Contestants can register on-site beginning at 8 a.m. on Sunday. Other activities will include a dogsled demonstration, snowshoe demonstrations and lessons, free horse-drawn sleigh rides and children’s games. Enjoy the country sound of local performer George Hogan and his band. (Contest flyer).
- In addition to scrumptious chili, refreshments will be available for a fee, including fresh clam chower and lobster from the food truck Chowder Up, and including hots and hamburgers to sushi from California Rollin’ II. Local restaurants will also be offering a special Valentine's dinners all weekend.
For more information: call 311 (outside the city call 585-428-5990) or the City’s Bureau of Recreation at 428‑6770.
- Snow sculpture: registration opens at 8 a.m. in the Port Terminal, Judging at 1 p.m.
- Polar Plunge for Special Olympics: Noon., Robach Center at Ontario Beach Park
- Chilly Challenge: Noon to 3 p.m., Port Terminal
- Lake Ontario Wine Festival: Noon to 3 p.m., Port Terminal
- Rec on the Move mobile recreation center: Noon to 3 p.m. outside Port Terminal
- Music by George Hogan: Noon to 3 p.m., Port Terminal
- Horse drawn wagon rides: Noon to 3 p.m., Ontario Beach Park
- Frostbiters sailboat races: 12 to 2 p.m., Genesee River
- Awards Ceremony: 3:30 p.m., Port Terminal. Refreshments available for a fee: Noon to 4 p.m.
Use the Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority's Google Trip Planner to get a bus to the Lakeside