Rochester celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, 2015
The Hispanic Heritage Committee of Rochester is proud to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with series of events that highlight Latino Culture.
Mayor Lovely A. Warren and Rochester City Councilwoman Jacklyn Ortiz will read a Proclamation at a City Hall ceremony at noon Monday, Sept. 15, 2014 to kickoff the month.
After the proclamation, the 23 National flags of Latin America will be unfurled from the mezzanine overlooking the City Hall Atrium, where they will remain during Hispanic Heritage Month. Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
Also during this month of celebration, works of art depicting the contributions of Rochester’s Hispanic community will be on exhibit in the City Hall Link Gallery, 30 Church St., until Oct. 27.
Events hosted by the City’s Hispanic Heritage Planning Committee
- Honoring Our Abuelitos: Thursday, Sept. 25, 6 to 8:30 p.m., Our Lady of the Americas Church Hall, 864 E. Main St. Recognition of Latino seniors, dancing, live music and food.
- 4th Annual Latino College Fair: Friday, Oct. 10, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monroe Community College Damon Campus, 228 E. Main St.
- Latinos in Literature: Thursday, Oct. 16, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Central Library Kate Gleason Auditorium, 115 South Ave.
- Noche de Gala Night: Saturday, Oct. 18, 6 to 11 p.m. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Lodge, 353 Court St. Tickets are $50.
- Latino Youth Performing Arts Showcase: Friday, Oct. 24, 6 to 8:30 p.m., David Gantt Community Center, 700 North St.
- Auditions will be held Sept. 18 and and 23 from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Thomas P. Ryan Community Center, 530 Webster Ave.
- No More Domestic Violence Dance-a-thon: Saturday, Oct. 25. Registration from 10 a.m. to noon; Dance from Noon to 4 p.m. David Gantt Community Center, 700 North St.
For more information contact Janet Gomez at HispanicHeritageMonth@cityofrochester.gov.
To learn more
For more information, you may call 311 or (585) 428-5990.
Be sure to stay up to date by visiting the Hispanic Heritage Month's Facebook page.