You can apply online, by mail or in person for Civil Service Exams or Job Openings with the City of Rochester.
Current Job Openings
Current Job Openings are vacancies or examinations for which the City is actively recruiting. View these openings, or you can find them on the bulletin board outside Room 103A of City Hall. Review the titles that interest you and then look carefully at the sections which describe "Minimum Qualifications" and "Special Requirements". These two sections list training, work experience, education and special licensing which are necessary to perform the job effectively. ONLY candidates whose qualifications match, or exceed, these requirements will be considered for an interview or participation in an exam.
NOTE - If reviewing the Current Job Openings on line, please be sure to take note of the “Who May Apply?” column and only apply for those which you qualify.
If you have NOT registered for our Online Employment System:
You can register with the City of Rochester's online employment system from the Current Job Openings page. You must have a valid personal email address that is not shared with another person who is registered. A free email account can be acquired from many websites, such as yahoo.com.
After registering, a password will be e-mailed to you to use to log in.
After logging in for the first time you will enter your Employment Profile, which is your Education, Experience and Personal information. This information will be saved in our employment system, so you will not need to complete it each time you apply. You may change your information at any time by going to “My Employment Profile”.
If you have already registered:
Be sure that all of your Employment Profile information is current (this includes your personal information, education and experience). You can update this by going to My Employment Profile after logging in.
If all of your information is current:
- On the Current Job Openings page, find a position that you would like to apply for and click the “Apply Now!” link that is located next to the appropriate title.
- If you are not already logged in, do so by entering your email address and password.
- Complete the fields in the application and click submit.
- If you are applying for an exam open to All Applicants, you will need to enter a credit card number to pay the non-refundable application fee. This fee will NOT be refunded if you do not meet the minimum qualifications or if you fail to appear for the exam. For more information on Application Fees, see the Civil Service Examination Fees section in The City's Hiring Process document.
- You will receive a confirmation email stating that we have received your application and a confirmation email stating that your payment has been received if applicable. If you do not receive one or both of these confirmation e-mails, please contact human resources by email at HR@cityofrochester.gov, or by calling (585) 428-7115.
Applying By Mail or In Person
To apply by mail or in person, you need to complete an Exam/Employment Application. If you are applying for a Police Officer or Firefighter exam, you need to complete a Fee Statement form and submit a non-refundable payment of $25. If you are applying for any other exam that is open to All Applicants (an Open Competitive Exam), you need to complete a Fee Statement form and submit a $15 non-refundable application fee.
The application fee will NOT be refunded if you do not meet the minimum qualifications or if you fail to appear for the exam. For more information on fees for examinations, see the Civil Service Examination Fees section in The City's Hiring Process document.
Please submit the Application, Fee Statement and fee, if applicable, to:
City of Rochester
Department of Human Resource Management
30 Church Street, Room 103A
Rochester, NY 14614
If you need assistance you may contact the City of Rochester's Department of Human Resource Management by email at HR@cityofrochester.gov or by calling (585) 428-7115.