Beat the Summer Heat
The 2015 Cool Sweep program, presented by RG&E, provides opportunities at City swimming sites, spray parks and fire hydrants for residents to get relief from the summer heat.
The 2015 Cool Sweep season will start on Monday, June 29 and conclude on Saturday, Aug. 29. (Cool Sweeps do not take place on Sundays or on July 4). A Cool Sweep operation is triggered when the forecast calls for temperatures to reach or exceed 85 degrees. During Cool Sweep, residents can get relief with cooling sprays at fire hydrants and take advantage of extended hours at City pools, Durand Eastman Beach and City spray parks.
Cool Sweep takes place at the following locations and times:
Hydrant Locations (noon to 4 p.m.):
• #41 School parking lot, 279 W. Ridge Rd.
• Baden Park gateway, Vienna Street
Spray Parks (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
• Carter Street R-Center, 500 Carter St.
• Edgerton R-Center, 41 Backus St.
• Humboldt R-Center, 1045 Atlantic Ave.
• David F. Gantt R-Center, 700 North St.
• Thomas P. Ryan R-Center, 530 Webster Ave.
Spray Features - not a full spray park (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
• Fourth and Peck Playground, Corner of Fourth Street and Peck Street
• Manhattan Square Park (playground area), 353 Court St.
• Troup Street Park, Troup and Van Auker Streets (between Reynolds and Ford Streets)
Swimming Opportunities and Hours of Operation:
• Adams Street R-Center Pool (noon to 9 p.m.), 85 Adams St.
• Avenue D R-Center Pool (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.), 200 Avenue D
• Durand Eastman Beach (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.), Lake Shore Boulevard
• East High School Pool (Monday to Friday only, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 1801 E. Main St.
• Flint Street R-Center Pool (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.), 271 Flint St.
• Genesee Valley Park Pool (noon to 9 p.m.), 131 Elmwood Ave.
• Jefferson High School Pool (Monday to Friday only, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 1 Edgerton Park
• Northeast/Northwest High School at Frederick Douglass Campus (Monday to Friday only, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 940 Fernwood Pk.
• Joseph C. Wilson Foundation Academy (Monday to Friday only, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), 200 Genesee St.
When temperatures are forecasted to be 90 degrees and above, a Cool Sweep Heat Emergency will be initiated. During a Heat Emergency, the Cool Sweep program extends to the following sites, where residents can stay in an air-conditioned building:
Heat Emergency Cooling Locations:
• Carter Street R-Center gym (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.), 500 Carter St.
• Arnett Branch Library (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.), 310 Arnett Blvd.
• Lincoln Branch Library (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, noon to 6 p.m.), 851 Joseph Ave.
• Maplewood Branch Library (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.), 1111 Dewey Ave.
• Winton Road Branch Library (Monday to Friday, closes at 9 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.), 611 N. Winton Rd.
For Cool Sweep and Cool Sweep Heat Emergency questions, call the Genesee Valley Park Pool at (585) 428-7888.