Planning and Zoning
City Hall – Room 121B
Rochester, New York 14614
Telephone (585) 428-9339
About the Board
The Electrical Examining Board of the City as provided for in Article XII, § 12-39, of the Charter of the City of Rochester.The Board is responsible for:
- Investigating and examining the knowledge and technical ability of each applicant for a license to engage in, or conduct the business of, installing, altering or repairing any electrical work in the City of Rochester.
- Investigate and examine the knowledge, technical ability and past record of each applicant applying for renewal of a license, and determine the applicant's fitness for renewal of said license. The type of license issued to an applicant for renewal of a license is at the discretion of the Board.
- Authorize the issuance of licenses as provided by ordinance, and shall stipulate the conditions, if any, under which a license is to be used. The Board shall not limit the number of licenses that shall be issued.
- Investigate and examine all charges preferred against any holder of a license, and his or her capability to continue to hold a license.
- Maintain an orderly set of records and shall perform such other duties as are hereinafter required of it and as may be directed by ordinance of the Council.
Electrical Licensing Information
Members are appointed by the Mayor and subject to confirmation by City Council.
Membership Requirements and Length of Term
This seven (7) member Board consists of:
- 6 members with experience / certification as follows:
- 3 electricians with at least 10 years practical experience in general electrical work
- 1 electrician with at least 10 years practical experience in specialized work involving electrical installations
- 1 licensed professional engineer of the State of New York
- 1 electrical engineer in the electrical distribution department of the utility supplying electrical power in the City of Rochester
- The Commissioner of the Department of Neighborhood and Business Development (or designee) shall serve as the seventh member
Members should be at least 30 years of age, citizens of the United States, and residents of the County of Monroe. Members will serve a term of three (3) years.
If you are interested in applying for apposition on the board, please contact the Mayor’s Office at (585) 428-6140.
Current Board Membership
|Walter Parkes, Chair
|Dennis Schaut, Vice Chair
||Licensed Professional Engineer
||Local Utility (RG&E)
||City of Rochester Electrical Inspector
2017 Meeting Schedules*, Exam Dates, Application Deadlines
The 2017 Meeting Schedule can be accessed here.
*Meetings are not open to the public. However, if you wish to appear before the Board, please contact Lisa Teuchert at (585) 428-6982.
**Meeting time changes to 11 a.m. Meeting location remains the same.