City of Rochester
(Wednesday, July 17, 2013) – Mayor Thomas S. Richards announced that a Cool Sweep Heat Emergency operation will be offered on Thursday, July 18 and Friday, July 19 in anticipation of temperatures that are expected to exceed 90 degrees.
Cool Sweep—presented by RG&E—is the City’s annual public safety and customer service program to provide opportunities to obtain relief from summer heat. A Cool Sweep operation is triggered when the forecast calls for a day to reach 85 degrees.
The Cool Sweep operation employs the use of a cooling spray from fire hydrants, from noon to 4 p.m., and extended hours at City recreation center pools and Durand Eastman Beach. The use of City spray parks, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., and pools in certain city high schools are also available to the public. When temperatures exceed 90 degrees, a Heat Emergency is declared and the Cool Sweep program extends into City branch library locations and the Carter Street Community Center, where residents can stay in an air conditioned building.
Cool Sweep hydrant locations (noon to 4 p.m.):
• School No. 22 parking lot, 27 Zimbrich St.;
• School No. 41 parking lot, 279 W. Ridge Rd.;
• Roxie A. Sinkler Recreation Center, 75 Grover St.;
• Baden Park gateway, Vienna Street.
Cool Sweep spray park locations (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.):
• Carter Street Community Center, 500 Carter St.;
• Edgerton Community Center, 41 Backus St.;
• Humboldt Community Center, 1045 Atlantic Ave.;
• David F. Gantt Community Center, 700 North St.;
• Thomas P. Ryan Community Center, 530 Webster Ave.;
• Fourth and Peck Playground (spray feature only, not a full spray park), corner of Fourth and Peck Streets;
• Manhattan Square Park (spray feature only, not a full spray park), 25 Manhattan Square Dr.;
• Troup Street Park (spray feature only, not a full spray park), Troup and Van Auker Streets.
Cool Sweep swimming opportunities are available at:
• Adams Street Community Center Pool, 85 Adams St., noon to 9 p.m.
• Avenue D Community Center Pool, 200 Avenue D, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Durand Eastman Beach, 1000 Lakeshore Blvd. Lot A only, Lifeguards on duty from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Flint Street Community Center Pool, 271 Flint St., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Genesee Valley Park Pool, 131 Elmwood Ave., noon to 9 p.m.
• East High School, 1801 East Main St., 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Marshall High School Pool, 180 Ridgeway Ave. (use Avis Street entrance), 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Monroe High School Pool, 164 Alexander St. (use Pearl St. entrance), 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Thomas Jefferson High School, 1 Edgerton Pk. (use entrance on west side of building), 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School, 501 Genesee St. (use main entrance), 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Cool Sweep Heat Emergency library cooling areas:
• Arnett Branch Library, 310 Arnett Blvd. (closes at 9 p.m.)
• Lincoln Branch Library, 851 Joseph Ave. (closes at 9 p.m.)
• Maplewood Branch Library, 1111 Dewey Ave. (closes at 9 p.m.)
• Winton Road Branch Library, 611 Winton Road N. (closes at 9 p.m.)
Cool Sweep Heat Emergency recreation center cooling area:
• Carter Street Community Center gym, 500 Carter St. (air conditioning only). (closes at 9 p.m.)
For more information on Cool Sweep Heat Emergency hours and locations, as well as regular pool hours, the public is invited to call the Genesee Valley Park Pool at 428-7888.
News Media: For more information, contact John Picone, Director of Aquatics, at 202-2263.