Request to Access City Records under the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)
The City maintains records relating to City government only, not records of suburbs and towns, Monroe County, the State of New York, the United States Government or any other municipality. For your convenience, we have listed links to other frequently requested records and/or information sources at the bottom of this page.
Records are made available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.
The Communications Bureau is located at Rochester City Hall, Room 202A, 30 Church St., Rochester, NY 14614. Phone: (585) 428-7135. Fax (585) 428-8841.
Use the buttons below to submit an online FOIL application or to check the status of an existing request.
To ensure efficient processing of your application, please be sure to provide the following information:
- Requestor's name, address and telephone number. This information is provided so the City may contact you with any questions and/or mail your materials.
- A reasonable description of the records sought, containing specific information which will allow the City to identify and locate the record.
- The requester's preference to inspect/review records, copy records or both.
The City's Response To Your Records Requests
In response to a request the City will either:
- Approve the request;
- Deny the request, stipulating the legal reasons for denial;
- Approve the request in part and deny the request in part (i.e., some of the requested materials are released and some are withheld or certain information is deleted for privacy reasons or other legal reasons), specifying the legal reasons for the denied portions thereof;
- Give notice of an extension of time needed to fulfill the request;
- If specified on the request form, provide an opportunity for the requester to review/inspect the records prior to copying;
- Advise that the requested materials are not maintained by the City and refer the requester to the appropriate agency, if known;
- Notify the requester that after a thorough search, the requested record(s) cannot be located;
Appeal of a Denial
If the requested materials are denied by the City, the requester may file a written appeal with Corporation Counsel within 30 days of receipt of the denial. Appeal instructions will be included in the denial letter. The appeal should include a copy of the request, a copy of the denial and a clear and concise statement detailing the reasons why the requester feels the appeal should be granted. Corporation Counsel with either affirm the denial or overturn the denial in whole or in part and provide access to all or part of the previously denied material. If an appeal is denied, the requester may commence a proceeding in New York State Supreme Court pursuant to Article 78 of the Civil Practice Law and Rules.
Fees for Processing Records Requests
There is a photocopying fee of 25 cents per page for 8-1/2 " X 11", 8-1/2" X 14" and 11" X 17" records and $1.00 per cassette tape or CD. Copies of maps, plans, drawings or blueprints will range in price from $5.00 to $10.25, depending on the size of the map. Photographs (5" X 7") are available at $5.00 per print. Normally, fees are billed at the time the records are mailed. However, the City may request payment in advance.
Conviction Records Contact Table
Court in Which Case was
Contact Information for Judgment or Conviction
|Rochester City Court - Civil
City Court - Civil Division
Room 6, Hall of Justice
99 Exchange Blvd. Room B
Rochester, NY 14614
Phone: (585) 371-3412
|Rochester City Court - Criminal
Rochester City Court - Criminal Division
150 South Plymouth Avenue, Room 123
Rochester, NY 14614
Phone: (585) 371-3413
|Monroe County Court
Monroe County Court Records
Monroe County Hall of Justice
99 Exchange Blvd.
Rochester, NY 14614
Phone: (585) 371-3758
Links to Information, Record Sources
Birth and Death Records
Landlord / Tenant Issues
Medical Examiner/Coroner's Reports
Monroe County Court Clerk Records
Monroe County Sheriff FOIL
New York State Criminal History Search
Rochester City School District
Sex Offender Registry
Small Claims Court Filing
Agencies of Interest
Monroe County District Attorney
Monroe County Sheriff
NYS Dept. of Motor Vehicles
New York State Police
Rochester Police Department